Wednesday, June 24, 2009

3 Sentence Book Review: To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee

Somehow I made it through middle school (and several years of school after that) without ever reading this classic, but my niece Ashley convinced me to pull the trigger, and I'm glad I did. This is a beautiful (if not slightly contrived) story about a young girl growing up in Alabama during the Depression, her swift discovery of the highs and lows of humanity, and why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird (you have to read it to find out). I didn't like the ending at all until I later stumbled upon the oh-so-true one-sentence prologue that I had previously overlooked: "Lawyers, I suppose, were children once."

2 comments:

Holly said...

I read, "To Kill a Mockingbird" for the first time this year too. I guess we went to the same schools :). I quite enjoyed it myself.

Katie said...

This is my favorite book. but I didn't read it through a lawyers perspective. We almost named Luke Atticus.